If you’re thinking about buying, selling, renting or investing in a property in Geelong, it’s likely that you’ll be dealing with a real estate agent. Generally speaking, a real estate agent is in charge of organising and managing the process of selling and renting out houses and other properties on behalf of their owners.
Many people might not know what kind of everyday tasks go into this process, which can differ from agency to agency. The real estate industry is highly competitive and involves a variety of niche markets that dictate the kind of attributes, approaches and expertise required for a specific job.
Common Tasks of a Real Estate Agent
Each property market is unique, meaning the exact day-to-day activities of an agent can vary depending on the environment they work in. Of course, every property sale or leasing arrangement also come with their own unique circumstances driven by the desires of the parties involved.
However, there are several duties you can expect a real estate agent to perform regardless of the area they operate in. You are ultimately relying on their expertise to ensure property transactions go smoothly, in terms of both compliance and assuring the parties involved are satisfied.
Common tasks include:
- Detailing and presenting offers to sellers and negotiating terms of purchase.
- Offering advice about prices, loan arrangements, market conditions, legal requirements and any other relevant property matters.
- Providing advice about property values and how you might be able to increase the value of a property and make it more appeal to potential buyers.
- Acting as a third party between buyers and sellers or tenants and landlords during negotiations and disputes.
- Advertising properties through traditional channels like billboards, open houses and listings as well as through online marketing.
Behind the Scenes
To effectively perform the duties listed above, there are a number of administrative and research based tasks a real estate agent must continuously perform, such as:
- Keeping track of market activity, reading real estate news, trade journals and other relevant literature, as well as attending seminars, meetings, conventions and other events that inform their expertise.
- Completing, reviewing and submitting a vast range of paperwork related to the transfer of property, from contracts to title deeds.
- Planning, scheduling and coordinating appointments, meetings, showings and open houses.
- Developing and implementing new marketing strategies to remain competitive and achieve the best possible results for clients.
- Writing articles and updating websites and social media profiles.
The most important task for a real estate agent is to generate leads. There are a variety of strategies to achieve this depending on an agency’s approach. Some agents prefer to market themselves as an expert in a particular niche of real estate, such as large scale commercial property, while others operate more broadly and differentiate themselves through their quality of service.
Our Approach as Real Estate Agents
At Barnett Real Estate, we focus on combining our extensive experience, innovative approaches and specialised knowledge of the Geelong real estate market to achieve the best results for our clients.
If you’re interested in buying, renting or selling a property in the Geelong region, call us today on 03 5222 1488 or contact us online.